Consumer packaged goods (CPG) marketers are adopting green and sustainable packaging initiatives across the board as part of their core values and brand strategy. As more consumers become concerned with the planet and climate change, brands are responding by analyzing the impact their companies have on the environment. This includes their entire supply chain, from manufacturing to logistics and shipping. Companies like Buckeye Corrugated, Inc. are helping these companies align their packaging and display initiatives with these values by adopting programs like “Box to Nature,”
orchestrated by the Paper and Packaging Board, and other manufacturing and procurement practices that make their products more sustainable.
In this article, we'll explore why sustainable packaging matters to your customers and how BCI, a trusted sustainable packaging manufacturer, is providing eco-friendly packaging solutions to brands nationwide.
WHY SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING MATTERS
Environmental awareness is on the rise, so it's no wonder that sustainable packaging is gaining ground with CPG brands. As consumers become more conscious of their carbon footprint, they are choosing brands that share their environmental concerns.
Here are a few reasons sustainable packaging is critical:
Meeting customer expectations
The expectations of today's consumers have evolved beyond merely seeking a product; they now demand that the brands they buy from or invest in demonstrate a profound commitment to minimizing their environmental impact.
This is not just a preference but a resounding expectation. Sustainable packaging has transitioned from being a "nice to have" aspect to a "must have" feature in the eyes of many discerning and eco-conscious clientele.
Customers have become the driving force behind a fundamental change in the packaging landscape, and brands must adapt to their new aspirations.
Reducing environmental footprint
Adopting sustainable packaging offers tangible benefits beyond meeting customer expectations. It constitutes a deliberate and impactful effort to reduce waste and minimize the consumption of nonrenewable resources such as fossil fuels. This conscious choice translates into a healthier planet.
These statistics emphasize this point clearly:
- According to a report from ScienceDirect, packaging accounts for approximately 40% of the world's plastic usage. By embracing sustainable packaging, brands play a pivotal role in curbing this ecological crisis.
- The S. Environmental Protection Agencynotes that recycling one ton of paper waste can save approximately 17 trees and significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Sustainable packaging often involves using recyclable materials, contributing to these vital efforts.
- The Ellen MacArthur Foundation reports that the global plastics economy could account for 20% of all oil consumption by 2050if the current consumption patterns persist. Sustainable packaging endeavors to disrupt this trajectory by decreasing our reliance on nonrenewable resources.
Enhancing brand image
Besides the environmental benefits, sustainability-driven packaging profoundly impacts a brand's image and reputation. Brands that prioritize sustainability accrue trust and goodwill from their audience. This trust isn't merely a fleeting sentiment but a long-lasting relationship extending to brand loyalty and advocacy.
- A global survey by Nielsen highlights that 81% of respondentsfeel strongly that companies should help improve the environment. Moreover, almost 41% of consumers are willing to pay more for products and services from companies committed to making a positive social and environmental impact.
- According to the Cone Communications Social Impact Study, 87% of consumerswould purchase a product because a company advocated for an issue they cared about.
BCI'S COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
At BCI, sustainability is at the core of our packaging solutions. As a sustainable packaging design company, we recognize that our customers and their end users expect more than functional packaging; they want it to be eco-friendly as well.
Our approach to sustainability is reflected in several ways:
FSC®- and SFI®-certified plants
We proudly operate Forest Stewardship Council
- and Sustainable Forestry Initiative
-certified plants. These certifications ensure that the wood used for our paper pulp is sourced from sustainably managed forests.
Bio-based algae inks
We go beyond conventional inks. Our commitment to sustainability is evident in our use of bio-based algae inks, which reduce our reliance on petroleum-based inks and contribute to a greener printing process.
We take the end-of-life phase of our products seriously. All our packaging is recyclable, reducing the environmental impact and promoting a circular economy.
You can read more about BCI's commitment to sustainability here
Get in touch
with our representatives to learn about our custom corrugated packaging, retail display assemblies
, packaging design services, and graphic packaging solutions
and to get a quote for your next project.